Amazing and coolest death in history
I have read and read this and I am amazed nobody has submitted this one.
Here is a video first, that illustrates how insanely cool and ballsy this was
The man is Dr. Karl P. Schmidt.
He was a very prominent herpetologist who agreed to identify a snake. He knew it was an African snake, and it was supposed to be a highly venomous boomslang (Dispholidus typus) but he did not believe it was and made a mistake handling it.
The snake bit his thumb.
According to Wikipedia ():
The venom of the boomslang is primarily a hemotoxin; it disables the coagulation process and the victim may die as a result of internal and external bleeding. The venom has been observed to cause hemorrhage into tissues such as muscle and brain. Other signs and symptoms include headache, nausea, sleepiness, and mental disorders.
Did Dr. Schmidt seek help?
No, because he knew it was hopeless. There was no anti-venom for boomslang toxin in North America. So he went home from work and proceeded to document the effects of the venom on his own body.
His diary is a macabre, almost twisted study of emotionally cold scientific notation right until the last moment. It is believed by some that he did not think the venom fatal, but others (including myself) believe he knew full well that it was and chose to document his end for science.
He denied treatment to the last, claiming that it would upset the symptoms.
Excepts, from the beginning and the end:
-5:30 – 6:30 PM strong chill and shaking followed by fever of 101.7. Bleeding of mucus membranes in the mouth began about 5:30, apparently mostly from gums.
-September 26, 6:30 AM Temperature 98.2. Ate cereal and poached eggs on toast and apple sauce and coffee for breakfast. No urine with an ounce or so of blood about every three hours. Mouth and nose continuing to bleed, not excessively.
And the doctor was dead a few hours later.
Autopsy listed his cause of death as respiration paralysis and noted bleeding from his brain, lungs, heart, kidneys, and even his eyes.